History of the Portuguese Golden Visa
Established in 2012, Portugal’s Golden Residence Permit Program (ARI) enables non-EU/EEA citizens to obtain a special residence permit in exchange for a 5-year investment in Portugal.
What’s unique about the permit is that the investor only has to spend about seven days per year in Portugal to maintain the residency, while still reaping all the benefits of being an EU resident—including visa-free travel in the entire Schengen area.
What is it?
- Rights to Live and Work in Portugal
- Rights to Free Visa-Free Travel in the Schengen Area
- European Passport offers visa-free access to 185+ countries
- Very Low Minimum Stay* Requirement – 35 Days in 5 Years.
*Min Stay – 7 days per year which is 14 days in 1st 2 years and 21 days in next 3 years before passport application
Family Structure Qualification
- Primary Applicant
- Spouse (same-sex are also qualified)
- Minor Children
- Adult Children, if financially dependent and single
- Parents of Main Applicant or Parents in Law, who are financially dependent
Thus, as of January 1, 2022, the main differences will be as follows:
- Transfer of capital (bank deposit, acquisition of public debt instruments of the Portuguese State, acquisition of securities or other participations) will have a minimum amount of €1,500,000.00;
- The transfer of capital invested in research activities carried out by institutions integrated in the national scientific and technological system, will have a minimum investment amount of €500,000.00;
- The acquisition of participation units in investment funds or venture capital funds aimed at capitalizing companies goes from a minimum investment of €350,000.00 to €500,000.00;
- The transfer of capital for the constitution of a national commercial company, with the creation of 5 permanent jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of an already constituted national commercial company, with the creation or maintenance of 5 jobs, increases the minimum investment amount required to €500,000.00.
* From SEF (Portugal Immigration Website): https://www.sef.pt/en/pages/conteudo-detalhe.aspx?nID=21
5 STEPS TO YOUR GOLDEN VISA
How does it work? There is a lot of research on the internet and there are lots of viewpoints but let’s define very simply how this can work. Working with professionals will remove the frustration that can cause especially. due to a different language and work culture.